Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Tryptophan should be a controlled substance

So how was/is everyone's holiday?

Ours was quiet and peaceful, per our plans. We didn't get the snow we wished for, but the weather was mild enough that, between torrential downpours, we were able to squeeze in some nice long walks.

I was so caught up in trying to finish Sam's stocking that Christmas Eve kind of snuck up on us before I realized that we'd lamed out on our plan to throw our semi-annual Christmas Eve bash. Fortunately, Kris and her posse trooped over and rescued us from an evening of watching TBS's 24 Hours of A Christmas Story.

We also got to admire how handsome Rian looked in his fetching holiday pyjamas, pictured right. Yes, that is Sam wearing a black t-shirt with a skull on it. Let me explain! We hadn't done laundry and were running on the dregs of our wardrobes. Sam HAD BEEN WEARING the cute red and green plaid shirt we'd saved for this occasion, but then he had a poo-cano (you know, like a volcano, but with poo) and the shirt was toast. And the only clean shirt he had left was his Halloween tee.

Anyway.

As always, Rian and Sam's antics together cracked our collective shit up. Sam developed a fascination with removing Rian's socks. Rian retaliated by gnawing gently on Sam's head. Many photos were taken.

Christmas Day had a pleasant, slow-motion, dream-like quality. Well, for me, anyway. Rusty, who made dinner, may remember it differently. We all slept in because we'd had a restless night due to Sam's top two front teeth coming in. The day passed in a haze of drinking delicious mochas, opening stockings, calling family, napping, taking pictures, changing diapers, opening presents, more napping, eating, more pictures, more diapers, more napping... well, you get the idea.

Let me tell you, in my next life I'm coming back as a baby. Sam cleaned up in the presents department. We officially have to get a bigger toybox. Seriously, though, it's so sweet and touching to see how babies and children bring out people's generosity of spirit. I get a little teary, actually, thinking about all the people -- some of them quite unexpected -- who thought of Sam and took the time and trouble to make or give him a holiday gift.

So now it's -- what? -- two days later, and I'm recovering from my turkey hangover. Time to get back on the vegetarian wagon for another year. Fortunately, I have about 30 lbs of chocolate to ease the transition.

Oh, yes... and I did finish Sam's stocking just in time for Santa. Feast your eyes!

4 Comments:

  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger Cataclysm said…

    Love the Stocking!!! And the opening pic of Sam so serene gainst the backdrop of the idyllic christmas tree!

    Chritmas is A LOT more fun with a baby, eh?!

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said…

    I gotta admit that Sam's stocking is still sitting right where I left it, about a week ago, unfinished...

    We also had a very relaxing Christmas - just the 3 of us, and just how we wanted it. Very nice.

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Love the stocking! Are those ties? Either way, I stand in awe of your craftiness. Also, poo-cano? Hee!

    We had a quiet Christmas morning, just the three of us, and then later we had fun opening the orgy of presents A's grandparents and aunt and uncle lavished on her. Luckily there were lots of clothes and books, plus an awesome rubber ducky that lights up. It was a really fun Christmas. It was nice to be more excited about someone else's presents than my own!

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    I totally hear you all on how much more fun Christmas is with a baby. And it's only going to get more fun... until they turn into teenagers who only want clothes but hate the clothes we pick out for them and aren't afraid to complain bitterly at us. Good times! I can't wait!

    Melissa, no, it's just made of regular fabric but I can see now how it looks like ties, which, by the way, is a FANTASTIC IDEA, and totally do-able. I'm mulling it over even as I write this...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home