Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Multi Media Holiday Spirit

The other night we were decorating the Christmas tree and I was struggling to get the lights in place. Nile was getting impatient and demanding some of my attention. I told him that if he could wait a few minutes and let me put the lights on the tree it would be really pretty and he would love it. When I was finally done I plugged in the lights and asked if he liked it. He paused, smiled and said, "Mama, Love it".

Anyway, my main motivation for this post is to get some advice. I'm really getting into Christmas this year. I really love this time of year & I find that having Nile is motivating me to get some good, solid holiday traditions on the go. So, I went out and bought a few Cds of holiday music and I'm planning a holiday baking day with our neighbors, which I hope will become a fun annual tradition.

I've never been much into holiday movies, actually I've never really watched them at all - but the other night I was laying around flipping channels and noticed that Elf, starring Will Farrel was on. There wasn't much else on and I was feeling pretty unmotivated, so I watched it. And to my surprise I laughed out loud and really enjoyed it. A few nights later I was feeling equally unmotivated and ended up watching the second half of Santa Clause 2 (starring Tim Allen). I didn't really like that one quite as much but it got me thinking that I like holiday movies during this time of the year and I wouldn't mind watching more of them, especially as Nile gets older.

So, I was hoping that you mamas and papas would share your thoughts on your favorite holiday movies with me so I don't have to watch any more movies like Santa Clause 2 in search of the perfect Christmas movie! I'd love suggestions on good holiday music, too..

Happy Holidays!

7 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Oooh, this is my category! A few suggestions, some of which you've probably already heard of or seen:

    - A Christmas Story
    - Scrooged (You have to like Bill Murray to like this one.)
    - The Charlie Brown Christmas Special
    - How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    - It's a Wonderful Life
    - White Christmas

    And I have to say that I really loved Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thornton, though I'm not sure if it qualifies as a Christmas movie, per se.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said…

    We loooooove National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation though Nile probably won't get the humor til he's much much older...

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said…

    A Christmas Story is the gold standard, but I also recommend heartily recommend that Muppet Christmas Carol

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I second White Christmas. I just introduced it to C this year and he loved it!

    Other suggestions:
    - Miracle on 34th Street (only the original black and white version though!)
    - The Year Without a Santa Claus (this is a claymation special that is pretty cheesy in places, but contains the Heat Miser/Snow Miser songs and is therefore AWESOME)

     
  • At 6:27 AM, Blogger Sincerely Iowa said…

    A Christmas Story
    How The Grinch Stole Christmas (with Jim Carrey)
    Santa Clause (the first one)
    Miracle on 34th Street (MY FAVORITE OF ALL TIME!)

    Happy Holidays!

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When Nile gets a bit older: Die Hard! You guys! It's awesome!

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They used to run a special on PBS, I think it was called "The Snowman". No words, just music, with a cartoon visual. A beautiful, touching special that we loved as kids.

    But my all-time favorite is Sesame Street Christmas. I just got a copy for my 21 month old, and he loves it! It's the old Sesame Street Christmas, made in 1978.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home