Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

by way of an introduction

Okay, I'll bite.

I'm landismom, the 37-year-old mom of two kids. My daughter (the Bee) is 6, my son (the Potato) is 2. I work as an organizer (but I telecommute--figure that one out), and live on the East Coast of the U.S. My regular blog is Bumblebee Sweet Potato, which is your basic mommy-blog that occasionally branches off into outrage about the Bush administration, tips on organizing, social history book reviews, and ponderings about raising anti-racist children. I'm sure if my blog lasts until there's a Democrat in the White House, I'll be outraged about her/his administration too, if past history is any guide.

I grew up in New Jersey in a 'broken home,' and both of my parents are remarried. I have three brothers, three step-brothers, and three step-sisters. I went to college to study theater, but I didn't graduate until I was 30. I moved to California twice in my early 20s--to San Diego for a year (didn't stick), and to the Bay Area for eight (did, kind of). My dh and I met when we worked together as canvassers in San Francisco, and we've both continued to work in different kinds of economic and social justice organizing ever since. We moved to the East Coast when we decided to start a family, 'cause we couldn't imagine trying to raise kids/own a home in California. My dh, a Bay Area native, misses it terribly, but the cost of living is just too outrageous there for us to think about moving back.

My kids' pseudonyms are their actual nicknames--my dh gave them both of these nicknames in the hospital the day they were born. We have three cats, but I very rarely blog about them, so I haven't bothered to come up with pseudonyms for them. At this point, no one that I know in real life reads my blog, except my dh. I'm not entirely sure why I blog anonymously--it mostly has to do with my fear of being googled by a future employer.

I read a lot, mostly fiction, and a combination of high-, middle- and low-brow. I consume way too much popular culture through television, but I almost never see movies in the theater. I'm a Mac addict. I like hip hop and embarassingly popular top 40 tunes.

And last but not least...I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    I hear you on the future-employer-Googleability worries. I like to think that I've covered my tracks, but I don't think it'd take Scotland Yard to figure out my real identity, so instead I self-censor a bit. It's good practice for me in real life, where I have the occasional blurted TMI moment. Because I'm eight.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger landismom said…

    Yeah, I'm sure that anyone who knows me in real life could figure out that I wrote my blog in about two and a half seconds, but they'd have to find it, first. Why make it totally easy by having my name on it, is what I say.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home