Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas Traditions with a Twist

Based on the Christmas Tradition post below i have a related but different scenario for which i'd like to solicit input. My family growing up had tons of traditions and many of them i'm happy to interpret for our family. The issue is that Blocker (new codename for my husband) is not a Christmas kind of guy. In fact he's not much on any holidays or celebrations. Not that he's mirthless, it's just that his kind of mirth is dry and snarky rather than joyful and jubilant.

He pooh-poohs the traditions that i choose to keep up, and it's just not as fun maintaining traditions solo. I assume i'll be able to have an ally once Henry is older, but i was wondering if anyone else is in this situation or knows someone that is and what suggestions they have. Reading through all of your traditions made me a little sad. I would love to watch Christmas movies all cuddled up, but that just isn't in Blocker's nature or our relationship.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Cataclysm said…

    Hey Tamra,

    All of us who have been together or married for more than 6 months can totally sympathize!!! One of the ultimate tricks of life is that no-one's life partner could possibly fulfil all of our needs - that you at least understand Blocker is perhaps the best it gets on that front. But then, I'm married to a Brit so developed an early appreciation of our fundamental differences (though oddly, I couldn't live as happily with anyone else which is why its been 7 years...)

    BUT there's hope! I've seen your Henry blog and your child looks purpose built to love each and every one of the traditions!! Blocker be damed! And scrounge through the community - get together with other families is all I can think of.

    Good luck Tamra!

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger landismom said…

    I started to respond in the comments, but it got so long that eventually I just posted on my own blog. Here you go! http://bumblebeesweetpotato.blogspot.com/2005/12/christmas-compromises.html

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    oh yeah. We don't watch them cuddled up. Just me and the two dogs watch them cuddled up. I am not sure where husband is. Hmmm? where is he?

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    That's a tough situation. My advice would be to continue the traditions you like without your husband, especially as Henry gets older and can participate. People do change, and maybe once Blocker (I would love to know the origin of that nickname, btw) sees you guys having fun together, he'll feel left out and will want to participate! If not, at least you can still have your traditions even if he doesn't participate.

    Sorry if that's not very helpful, but I've found that there are some things my husband and I just don't do well as a couple (such as going to parties--he hates them), and it works out best if I just do what I want and let him decide if he wants to participate or not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home