Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Don't make me put a hoodie on my baby

My baby is big for her age. Mostly this is a good thing; for instance, when she was a newborn, I never felt like she was particularly fragile (in fact, at 9 pounds, 3 ounces, she was pretty darn sturdy). But there are a few disadvantages, and one of them is that I have a hard time finding clothes for her.

A is 7 1/2 months old, but she's wearing 12-month clothes. This is a problem because the clothing manufacturers seem to assume that 12-month-olds have different clothing needs than younger babies. A spends a lot of time either rolling on the floor or being held. I like to put her in onesies and pants, or overalls, or one-piece rompers--things that are a) easy to get on and off, and b) don't ride up and expose her chubby belly. However, these things are nowhere to be found in her size in the places where I shop. (Mostly Target and the Carter's outlet store, because I'm cheap like that.)

The 12-month clothes are not baby clothes. They are little child clothes. Frankly, some of them look like they were made for miniature teenagers. T-shirts with appliques, hoodies, bootcut corduroy pants. Don't get me wrong, they are cute as all getout, but they are not practical. The pants don't have any crotch snaps; they barely have any elastic at the waist. Am I really supposed to yank these things over my baby's diapered butt several times a day? Am I supposed to wrestle her in and out of a hoodie all day when she barely tolerates getting dressed once in the morning? And what's up with the pajamas? Babies wear footed one-piece pajamas that snap or zip down the front; 12-month old children apparently wear two-piece pajamas with no feet.

So what's a mom to do? I guess I already know the answer: suffer until she's old enough for the 12-month clothes to make sense. But I wish someone would make some big baby clothes.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Cataclysm said…

    This is where boys clothes are somewhat better than girls... while Rian wears a lot of blue and trucks and boats, I do find the clothes pretty sensible. And as I'm browsing the pinks and purples and oranges and greens of the girls' section, I suppose you're right, not very practical...

    But Oh, the colours! And as he's sleeping tonight, he's in his girlie sleeper of pink-purple with flowers, our main foray into the wonderful world of colour!

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger landismom said…

    You can find footie pajamas for a one-year-old (and even older) but it does get harder. I'm not really sure why--there's no reason for a one-year-old to wear the clothes of an older toddler, who might be potty training.

    I personally think that Carter's runs really small--with both of my kids, they would never fit right.

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Speaking as mom to another heavyweight baby (Sam's in 12-18 month sizes... WTF?), I feel yhour pain. I don't even bother to get attached to any of his outfits anymore.

    I have to confess, though, that I'm one of those people who love to dress their baby up like a grungy teenager. He looks so cute with his little jeans and a long-sleeve tee with a short-sleeve shirt buttoned over top. And don't even get me started on the hoodies. Heh.

    What I love about dressing Sam like this is the sartorial dissonance between his footwear and the rest of his outfit. What teenager worth his grunge would pair his outfit with a pair of red Robeez-type slippers with monkeys on the toes? Or with a pair of wool-and-sheepskin mukluks? It cracks me up.

    I'm in total agreement with you about sleepers, though. Babies need one-piece footy pyjamas. Is there a Mexx Kids near you? They have sleepers that go up to at least 18 months. We got some for Sam when they were having a 3/$33 sale a while back.

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am not sure about big babies, but i do know that you can get footy pajamas for adults and teens here:

    http://www.squidoo.com/FootedPajamas

     

Post a Comment

<< Home