Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Eureka!



i was baking a huge batch of carrot cakes yesterday in a very scattered and flustered state of mind and i forgot to add the sugar. needless to say, the cakes came out looking lumpy and decidedly unappetizing. they looked and tasted like unsweetened carrot scones. i was about to trash them when i realized they would probably be a good snack for nile. so, i gave him a little taste & he loved it (good thing too because i have about 10lbs). minus all that sugar i figured it's actually a pretty good snack for him. moral of the story: don't toss out botched baked goods, feed them to your baby!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Awww... what a cutie!

    And thanks for the tip about the baking, though I think Sam has lost his innocence when it comes to sugar. A few days ago, the mister -- who was hanging out with Sam in the kitchen -- called out to me, "Can Sam have some little pieces of chocolate cookie?" I replied, "Not really." There was a pause, and then he called back, "What if he's already had them?"

     
  • At 2:40 AM, Blogger ... said…

    you have a baby who will eat ruined baked goods?!? that's kind of like having a goose that lays golden eggs...in a way of sorts. he would be extremely well-fed at my house.

    i kept finn off the sugar until she was two. until my mother visited and fed her a mashed-up twinkie. this is the exact same way i lost my sugar cherry. but, im willing to bet i was much younger than two. i wouldnt put it past my mother to have weaned me and my siblings using hostess snacks.

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger landismom said…

    Adorable! My kids would just be jealous that you bake...

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Cataclysm said…

    I don't get it... how can you forget the sugar with Betty Crocker??

    And sugar, yep, well, in one of my desperate moments to get Rian to stop howling one night when he was like 8 months, I would put chocolate ice cream on my finger and he'd lick it off... but not screaming! I still consider that a win for mother...

    And while Rian's diet started out 100% organic for much of his young life, I don't think we've even reaching 50% these days. But say Heinz Nutrios have like 1 g of sugar/.5 cup to 3 g (!!) of the organic Heritage Os and no fortified B's or iron or anything.

    And Melissa, your family unit is so cool!! With hubby a fair-trade coffee roaster and you running your own desserts gig!! Nile is gonna be one wired and well-fed little dude!!!
    Take care,
    Kris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home