Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Monday, February 13, 2006

the passing of 'effledidnt'

Last week, my son learned to correctly pronounce the word 'elephant.' Well, okay, it still sounds like 'elfant,' but a total stranger could recognize it as a two-year-old version of 'elephant.'

Everyone at my house is a little depressed by this development, because before now, he pronounced it 'effledidnt,' which is much, much cuter.

My father-in-law was in town for the weekend, and my daughter was explaining to him how sad we all are that her brother doesn't say effledidnt anymore. My FIL asked her if there were any words like that from her toddler-hood--things that she figured out how to say more cutely than they were in real life. The one that she remembered was 'syriup' for 'syrup.' My personal favorite was that she used to call capri pants 'pre-Ks,' which always generated for me the image of a girl wearing a whole class of four-year-olds around her waist.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    "Effledidnt." Heheh.

    Man, your post made me realize that someday Sam is going to speak! In real words! My mind has been blown.

    The only cute mispronunciation I can remember from my childhood is that I used to call spaghetti "pasgetti." And, obnoxious child that I was, I maintained this pronunciation even when I knew better, because I knew that grown-ups thought it was adorable.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    aawwwww...i recall my little sister saying "guitar" in a peculiar fashion. an d one day i sat her down & taught her how to say it correctly. even as a little girl, i always sort of regretted doing that. i immediately missed her old, cute pronunciation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home