Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A few of my favorite things...


Allow me to be a tad materialistic here and share with you some of my favorite things, people, movies and so forth...

1. Sarah. For those of you who know me well enough know that no last name is needed (Maclachlan btw). Before I moved to vancouver, I dreamt that we would meet and have dinner parties with her husband and laugh. Oh, would we laugh. I have definite issues with this obsession, i'll be the first to admit. At least I'm honest about it...

2. When i first meet someone, usually in the conversation i'll throw in: 'have you seen fubar?' 'Wonder boys'? 'High Fidelity?' 'All the Real Girls?' What are your thoughts on Jack Black and Phillip Seymour Hoffman? Answers to these questions allow me to figure out if you're really as cool as I think you are... Anyone who truly understands why 'Tron Funkin' Blows' is funny beyond anything is cool in my books. Oddly, I'm not that much into movies. I tend to forget i've seen a movie about 30 seconds after it ends. same with books (sorry DOP!).

3. Check these out: http://www.apollonine.com/astrosatchel/main-1.html

What's not to love? I love mine so much i bought a matching diaper bag and one each for my midwives... i should buy shares, really.

4. ok, here goes nothing: I'm a closet (not so closet anymore?) video game fan. I will (somewhat proudly) admit to having finished Ape Escape last year. ALL BY MYSELF! I lost a lot of sleep over it and dreamt of those freaking little monkeys but god damn it, I caught them all!

And, this Christmas, was quite happy to receive Sims from the mister. there. i've said it.

5. I LOVE to colour! And have tons of colouring books to boot! It's my version of knitting. Knitting sucks.

ok, and since this is supposed to be the Bored Housewives Network, I'll end on a sappy note. My little man... ah... he's so freakin' cute. Did I say that out loud???



What are some of YOUR favorite things???

9 Comments:

  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    anne-marie - i love to color too! i always feel a bit silly about it because i'm a grown-up an all..but i have this Mandala coloring book that my sis gave me a few years ago & i love to color in it with my colored pencils. i'm really anal about anyone else messing with my book or my colored pencils & when anyone asks "can i color one?" i always say "no!"

    ps - have you ever sighted sarah around town? when i first moved to vancouver i always thought i might run into her. when i lived near VGH, the local chinese delivery place had a note next to the cabbage rolls on the menu saying "sarah M's favorite", which i thought was spiffy.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Anne-Marie said…

    I have those Mandala books as well - plus some reat butterfly and jungle ones. Oh and some stained glass ones. Loomis near Main Street has a great selection! I've never met anyone else who's into coloring - cool!

    Alas, still no Sarah sighting. Probably best though, I think I'd have a heart attack and my husband would forever say 'but you should have talked to her...' as i stood there, dumbfounded. somehow though, i don't think she hangs out in my part of town... i need to get out to west van more often...

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    I've seen Fubar and High Fidelity more times than I can count (and the guys from Fubar have been in my truck, when the mister did an extended interview with them last year). I heart Jack Black so much that I own a copy of School of Rock (worth it for the "give me a platform" scene alone). And Phillip Seymour Hoffman rules, simple as that.

    I also have an Astro Satchel, which I'm starting to feel like I'm underutilizing, after reading your post.

    Alas, I cannot play videogames or pinball because they trigger my latent OCD. I lost all of 1988 to Ultima III. I've missed dates because I couldn't tear myself away from Lethal Enforcer (I'm extremely good with firearms, should you ever need a hired gun). I finally swore off games after I got over a bad bout of Tetris Gameboy addiction. I literally could not stop thinking about those little blocks. I was DREAMING in Tetris. I've never dared play Sims because I have a surefire feeling that it would ruin my life.

    And I like colouring AND knitting. Heh.

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Cataclysm said…

    And Sam's only Freakin' cute??!? Honey, Sam is the ONLY baby that I've heard 3 other mom's mention on different occasions is gorgeous and will be amazingly handsome when he grows up!! Keep all those pics because the tabloids are gonna want them!! Only freakin' cute...

    And not to brag but I AM the Tetris champion on Game Boy Advance! Oh yes, and the Xbox 1080 snowboarding Queen! The only thing that slowed me down was pregnancy-related RSI - I was too embarassed to tell my doc that it all started after a heavy weekend making all my snowboarding players top rank.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said…

    Kris, really... you're killing me with all this talk. Now I'm gonna have high expectations of Sam as the new Calvin Klein model...

    1080 rocks! Never got into Tetris though, too tedious. And I'm spatially challenged. Just can't wrap my head around how to get those blocks to fit.

    On the Fubar note - the part where Dean falls off his bike? Priceless... Paul Spence is a 'friend' of my best friend and i hear stories all the time. a crazy one, that guy... anyone who 'gets' that movie is cool. so tammy, consider yourself cool.

    ok and one more to show the world just how cool I am? AFV rocks! (confused? America's Home Videos...). Yeah, it's dorky but seeing people fall rocks my world.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    I hung around with guys like Terry and Dean in high school. Good times. I can't even choose a favourite scene from the movie, because there are so many. Have you seen American Movie? It's a "documentary" that follows similar characters, but sadder and older. Still some very funny moments, though.

    Oh, hey, here's a link to the FUBAR interview John did. It's pretty funny. They make fun of both John and our truck.

    And oh my. Every Sunday evening at 6:58, we gather 'round the TV and start chanting "AFV! AFV! AFV!" People who don't like AFV have obviously never actually watched it. I'm not so much into the seeing people falling as I am into seeing the relatively rarer clips of little kids getting the crap scared of them. Cracks me up every time.

    Are my redneck roots showing yet?

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said…

    I got Neil a AFV DVD for Christmas. If your nice, I'll lend it to ya.

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger landismom said…

    Well, this is kind of weird, but I really like blogging. It's my OCD-ish obsession (it's even replaced the Sims!). Sad, but true.

    Possibly because, as the mother of a six-year-old, I am no longer allowed to own art supplies that are for my personal use only.

    But she can't hijack my blog! (yet)

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I can't play video games because a) I have no eye-hand coordination, and b) video games are my husband's work AND his hobby, so he can kick my ass in any game from here to next Tuesday.

    I love the idea of coloring! For a while, when I was single, living by myself, and unemployed, I was really bored. Sometimes I would paint, but usually I couldn't think of a subject matter. Instead, I started painting these little wooden miniatures (little cabinets that held tiny wooden books, etc.). It was basically the same thing as coloring, which I actually wanted to do but didn't think I was "allowed" to for some reason.

    On a related note, I love miniatures and would someday like to build a fancy dollhouse with working lights and everything, which of course I will not want my daughter to play with because it's MINE.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home