Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Monday, February 13, 2006

The egg factory is back in business

Er, sorry about the euphemism in the post title. Blame the hormones.

I heard from a bunch of sources that one can expect one's cycle to resume at around the ten-month mark, and if there's one thing that pregnancy and early parenthood have taught me, it's that Sam and I are boringly average. Sure enough, five days shy of Sam's ten-month birthday, this morning I realized that my carefree days are over.

When I told my husband, I added, "That probably explains why I've been so grouchy." To which he replied, "Yeah, probably." "What's that supposed to mean?" I snapped back. I rest my case.

All morning long I've been fighting off this Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret impulse to call all my friends and tell them my big news. Is that weird?

Anyway, thanks to Kris for kicking all our butts and getting the posting re-started! A few things I've been wondering about y'all:

Melissa O! How goes the post-maternity leave job search?

Anne-Marie, how was the visit back east? (Can you tell I've been in Vancouver a long time by the fact that I refer to central Canada as "back east"?)

Libby, are your afternoons liberated yet? I can't tell you how excited I am by the prospect that you may be free to hang out during the day! And that picture of Jonah makes the prospect all the more tantalizing. He looks like an indie rock god!

landismom, how is landisdad doing with his new job? How are YOU doing with his new job?

saskatchewan, are you really going back to school? So cool! I want to know all about it.

Jem, how's the project going? I've been really enjoying your take on rethinking the role of food in our lives.

Everybody else: what the heck is new? And don't say "nothing." "Nothing" is never an acceptable answer.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger landismom said…

    Well, I've posted on one of our recent developments above, the other one being we got a friggin' foot of snow over the past two days. Although since it's the first snow we've had this year and it had the decency to arrive on Saturday night, I'm not that upset.

    LD hasn't started his new job yet, but thanks for asking!

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It doesn't come back as soon as the kid comes out? I didn't know that.

    As a childless person, I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT PARENTHOOD, HINT HINT.

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Heh, Wing. I haven't forgotten! I swear!

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Today is my first day of bar studies and, so far, I am LOVING the more flexible schedule. LOVING. I celebrated by getting my upper lip waxed (why did none of you tell me how much this hurts?). Sadly, it looks like I will be in class until 3, but that still leaves plenty of afternoon/early evening bonding, Dopp (and Kris? and others?).

    On another note, Jonah's hair is totally out of control. I am taking him to the hair dresser tomorrow to mold it into something skater boy-ish.

    (And Wing, I LOVE your idea...)

    Can you guys tell that I LOVE everything?

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said…

    Hey!
    Visit back East was good, better than I had expected and to be honest, I expected BAD THINGS! But, it was nice and I was happy to be back to normal weather in Vancouver. Considering Sam and I spend the majority of each day wandering the Drive, drinking coffee (well, I drink, sam watches) and hanging at the park - our week in minus 12 degree weather was pretty uneventful. Took me half hour to get him dressed, he whined the whole time to the park where we swung for 5 minutes til it got too cold, didn't see another soul and then walked back through the 'burbs to my parents' house. It sure is a different life in the burbs...

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Wow, we are really back in the swing here!

    A has started this thing where she refuses to be put in her crib at night until she's sound asleep. I hold her, she's happy. I put her down, she screeeeeams. I hope this is a phase. She's also doing other fun things, but I'm about to write her 10-month post so I'll blab about it all there.

    In other news, I'm taking my first class since A was born, and it's kicking my ass. (I have been working on completing my degree online for-freaking-ever. I have 5 classes left including this one.) It's a journalism class and I spent hours on the first assignment, which consisted of two sentences! Ack.

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    "A has started this thing where she refuses to be put in her crib at night until she's sound asleep. I hold her, she's happy. I put her down, she screeeeeams."

    Sam has just started this, too! Since he and A are about eight minutes apart in age, maybe it's an almost-ten-month-old thing?

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can I just say that as a mom of a 20-month old, getting my period back some time soon would be a celebrated event. I must admit I was a little jealous to read Doppleganger got hers back 10-months post birth. What's wrong with me?
    I recently went to the doctor thinking she would reassure me all is well, instead she squinted her eyes at me and asked me if I thought I might be pregnant. Ah...no. At least I better not be.
    In a panic for reassurance from even some not-so-trustworthy sources, I scoured the internet late into the night until I found some obscure posting from...I have no idea.. who said she didn't get hers back until 23 months post birth. Phew... Something to cling to.
    I know some people think I should be thankful I'm, er... carefree, but actually I find the absence of this monthly ritual a little unsettling. I'm free falling for crying out loud. I could be ovulating and ripe for impregnation and have no idea... because I have no anchor, no signpost, no clue!
    Ah well... the minute I get back that feeling of an unrelenting vice grip around my uterus I'm sure I'll be eating all my words of envy and dismay...oh and chocolate cake too.

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oops. Sorry for incorrectly spelling Doppelganger. I must admit though, the word makes me think of Doppler...as in Doppler radar. OK..a lame excuse for being a careless contributor.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home