Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

the baby has left the building...


A few days ago, we got a flyer from Toys R Us in the mail, advertising a fantastic sale on all great things that kids want. I thought that Sam, being only 17 months, was still at that oblivious age of not knowing what was going on around him and still living in la-la babyland. Boy, was I wrong! Thinking I was just making conversation with myself, I pointed to the Thomas the Tank engine that was advertised as being on sale in the flyer and said "look Sam, it's Thomas like at Family Place'. His eyes lite up and he started blabbering on and on about what I can only assume is the very same train that's at Family Place! Really though, you have to see this - we go downstairs for breakfast, he find the flyer, brings it over, pointing only to the Thomas, yabbering on and on, as if to say "see mom, this is Thomas and I don't have one and I really really like it and so if you could buy it for me, I would be really really happy!.

It blows my mind that this little kid understands what we say - I was on the phone explaining to my mom what had happened, when Sam takes off and once again, brings me the flyer to make sure I haven't forgotten about Thomas!!!

Do they ever get any cuter than they are at 17 months?

3 Comments:

  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Tammy said…

    That is one of the most awesome baby photos I've ever seen.

    And heh... I hear you on the issue of toys and our guys knowing what they want. Yesterday, after watching Sam trying to sit on and ride his little dump truck for the bazillionth time, the mister declared that we HAD to go to Toys R Us and get him his own wheels that very day. So we trekked over and went to the display of little cars and push thingies for toddlers. And Sam almost freaked out when he saw the Thomas the Tank Engine. We kept trying to show him other vehicles, so he could make an informed choice, but that just made him irritable, so we quickly paid for Thomas and headed home. Well, Sam freaked out (in the not good way) when we went to separate him from Thomas and put him in his car seat. So we ended up having to strap Thomas in the seat belt next to him so he could reach out and press those infernal buttons.

    And now all Sam wants to do is sit on Thomas. If he's away from Thomas and you even mention Thomas's name within his earshot, he suddenly remembers where he should be and yells "Ta! Ta!" as he runs toward whatever room Thomas is in.

    He's either going to be an engineer or a hobo when he grows up. It's anyone's call at this stage.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said…

    OMG!!! I have to invite myself (and Sam) over so that the Sams can have simultaneous freak attacks at the mere mention of Thomas.

    Have you tried the Thomas website yet?

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Joanne said…

    I'm really happy to hear that they get cute at 17 months, as mine will be there in a few weeks! Not that he's not cute now, but I am always waiting, waiting, for more better communication. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home