Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Ode to a friend

I remember when we would listen to Aretha Franklin's 'Soul of 69' on LP, all scratchy and old, but never sounding better. In our 3rd floor walk-up, you're sitting on that old, ugly couch of ours and me, on the brown chair salvaged from my dad's office. The glow of that god-awful orange lamp in the background, candles lighting the living room table. A few bottles of wine and perhaps a joint later (this was Montreal, after all), souls barred, consciences emptied, I'd giggle & laugh, never fully realizing how much I'd miss these moments, years later. I'd never met anyone like you, with whom I clicked so well from the very beginning - that very first sentence exchanged "you like the Hip?" (Oh, how very small-town Ontario of us). Through boys, broken hearts and broken families, moves cross-country and later, across the ocean, we've shared everything and nothing, leaving things unsaid, no need to state the obvious:

"Here's to the losers,
the substance abusers.
To the rejects
and all the imperfects.
To the retarded
and the broken-hearted.
To the storming masses,
and the lower classes.
'cause I think we're beautiful,
no matter what anyone says.

I think we're beautiful."

4 Comments:

  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger Cataclysm said…

    I just bought one of my best friends a nice little wall tile, tastefully done, that says, "You'll always be my best friend.... You know too much"

    Moving to Vancouver a couple years ago gave me a new appreciation of all of the 'old guard' of friends where you have lived so much life together, exactly like this posting Anne-Marie. Not always trying to be polite or appropriate. Where a spade is a spade, and history repeating itself is clearly obvious to people who know that history.

    And my latest theory is that people don't really change all that much.

    Its hard to really look critically at oneself but when I see my friends of 20 years, the threads of their humanity and uniqueness that I could see when they were 13 and 14 are still there. And you see some of the same mistakes playing out again and again - all the new friends don't have enough perspective to be able to laugh or joke or even notice.

    This is a really nice tribute!

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    That is a wonderful tribute! I was just exchanging emails with my best friend from high school, who was the maid of honor in my wedding. We don't talk for months at a time, but when we do, it's like we were never apart. Still, I miss being able to hang out with her and shoot the breeze. There's something so relaxing about being with someone who has known you for so many years.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Ditto. I love all the friends I have in the city, but I miss my old university friends so much. There's nothing to compare to friendships that were created by long slow simmering, with hours and hours of time wasted together. Sigh.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said…

    yeah, that's what I miss most - the slow, lingering chats over bottles of wine. The man and I occasionally do this as well but most times, once babe's asleep we (unfortunately) park ourselves in front of the tube and zone out. Guess that's the down side of blabbering with a 7 month old all day...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home