Bored Housewives Network

Getting through the day, one bonbon at a time.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Poor Puppies


Hi All. Nile has started to get really rough & (sometimes downright mean) with our pets .. we have a cat & 2 small dogs who are all very good natured, but none are used to the type of abuse that Nile is doling out - tail pulling, ear yanking, smacking in the head, screaming in their faces - i'm beginning to worry that one of them might swipe at or snap at him. i don't know what to do apart from chant "Gentle" over & over again (which doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever). has anyone else gone through this? any tips? help!

3 Comments:

  • At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My mom used to hold my little brother's hand and say "Don't hit. Pat, pat." while helping him do the motion. Pretty soon he started doing it by himself, to dogs and humans alike. It was pretty cute to get patted on the head by a toddler while you were carrying him.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    I do something similar with Sam. It works... sometimes. When he pinches, I also say "NO PINCHES!" and remove him from the situation.

    You know what I wish? That my dog and cats would WALK AWAY when Sam tries to love them too roughly. But no, they just sit there and take it. How's he going to learn???

    One thing I'm really glad about is that, from the time we got each of our pets, we've taught them to not be territorial about their food. Because now they just look confused and resigned when Sam races over and sticks his hand in their dinner before we can intervene.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I have the same problem. Most of the cats are smart enough to run, but one of them just takes it when A grabs fistfuls of his fur or yanks on his tail. I sometimes try to get her to pet him gently, but mostly I just try to distract her. I don't know why some pets are gluttons for punishment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home